To download the application for the Administrative Secretary/Records Clerk/Evidence Tech Position click on the link here: Application
The Franklin Police accepts applications for employment regardless of our hiring status. Any valid applications submitted will be included in the next hiring process if the applicant can be reached via phone. For further questions, Email Detective Canaan Scott.
Minimum qualifications to apply:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be a high school graduate or have earned a GED
- Must have an honorable discharge if you have ever served in the Armed Forces
- Can never have been convicted of a felony or domestic violence
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Have a valid driver’s license
Applications and other employment forms may be downloaded below. All application documents MUST be typed, printed out, signed where indicated, and submitted. Incomplete or hand written application documents will not be accepted. Applications are only available online since they must be typed. If you are unable to access a computer, the Goodnight Library offers computer use for free and a nominal charge to print. Please read the instructions carefully.
- Application Instructions (read first)
- Form A - Attesting to Minimum Standards
- Employment Application
- Information Release Authorization
Selection for sworn personnel includes the following:
- Each candidate who meets the minimum requirements must complete the Kentucky Police Officers Professional Standards (POPS) pre-selection physical fitness tests unless already a certified police officer by Kentucky POPS. The Kentucky Law Enforcement Counsel administers the test.
- Each candidate who proceeds to the next step of the process then completes a written examination for the position of Police Officer unless already a Kentucky certified police officer by the Kentucky POPS.
- Each candidate who proceeds to the next step of the process then goes before an oral board composed of Franklin Police Officers.
- Each candidate who proceeds to the next step of the process then undergoes an extensive background investigation.
- Each candidate then meets with a hiring board composed of the Chief of Police, the City Manager, the Personnel Director, and a law enforcement officer from another agency selected by the Chief of Police..
- Upon completion of the selection process, the Chief and the City Manager will recommend to the City Commission those candidates for employment. Final approval for appointment is subject to approval of the Franklin City Commission.
- After being approved by the City Commission , employees are given a conditional employment offer pending completion of a medical examination, psychological examination, polygraph examination, and drug screening. Previously certified employees may not be required to take a polygraph or psychological examination depending on how long ago these tests were performed, at the discretion of the Chief of Police. New employees are then required to take the Franklin Police Department Oath of Office.
- Unless already POPS certified, all newly hired officers shall be required to execute an employment agreement with the City of Franklin requiring the repayment of all training costs, including, but not limited to salary and travel expenses for Basic Training at the Department of Criminal Justice Training, and in house training if employed for less than three years.
- After being employed by the City Commission, employees, not already basic-certified, must complete basic training at Richmond, Kentucky.
- New officers are required to participate in and successfully complete Police Training Officer Program.
- New officers are on probationary status for one year from date of completing Police Training Officer Program. Probationary status may be defined as that period during which one's employment may be sustained or terminated by the City Commission on the recommendation of the Chief of Police. During probation, the continuing selection process shall include, but not be limited to, random drug-screen testing.