Administrative Secretary/Records Clerk
Job Title: Administrative Secretary/Records Clerk
Department: Police Administration
Reports to: Chief of Police, Administrative Major
Characteristics of the Job
This is a clerical position involved with the administrative support of a city police department. An employee in this position provides administrative support to the Chief of Police requiring considerable initiative, independent judgment and professional discretion. Reports directly to the Chief of Police, Administrative Major.
· Maintains a high degree of confidentiality while working with sensitive and confidential written and/or verbal communications, ensuring that daily responsibilities and functions are carried out efficiently and professionally;
· Produces varied documents and reports through the application of highly developed computer skills used daily in continuous, ongoing work and basic projects;
· Maintains extensive contact and interaction with citizens, public officials, other agencies, other departments/divisions, etc, providing requested information or suggested sources for data and assistance required;
· Organizes and maintains department files, often of a sensitive nature;
· Composes correspondence and transcribes dictation;
· Responds to and directs citizen complaints and inquiries via telephone and in person to appropriate individuals;
· Transcribes interview and other sensitive audio tapes for the Criminal Investigation Section;
· Maintains appointment schedules, screens and refers telephone calls, and maintains telephone and visitor’s log;
· Appears for work and completes assigned tasks within a reasonable period of time;
· Works in a safe manner, observing all safety rules, and poses no significant risk to the health and safety of others.
· Monitors customer service counter, directing patrons to appropriate locations and individuals;
· Logs citations into computer and forwards information to district court;
· Files and maintains police reports, including accidents, complaints, burglaries, thefts, etc; and
· Fills requests for records when appropriate.
Additional Job Duties
· Provides administrative support for division commanders and other departmental staff;
· Performs data entry function as required;
· Performs additional duties as required;
· Acts as Franklin Police TAC (Terminal Agency Contact)/Terminal Operator;
· Relays calls for service to KSP Dispatch;
· Receives requests for vehicle, person, driving records, warrants, criminal histories, etc.;
· Ability to operate the NCIC and NLETS;
· Ensures validations are completed; and
· Assists with departmental audits.
· Facilitate police hiring processes.
· Plan and coordinate police events such as awards ceremonies, banquets, etc.
· Assist with departmental social media page.
Desirable Training and Experience
· Any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
· Must have prior working knowledge of Link/NCIC and Tac audits and have the ability to get certified through Link/NCIC.
· Must have prior experience working with police records.
· Monday through Friday 8 am to 4 pm.