City Code Enforcement

Moe Hillard
Code Enforcement Officer
Date of employment -  
October, 2022 

Our Mission
The City of Franklin is diligently working to clean-up and improve the appearance of our community by strictly enforcing the City’s Property Maintenance Code.  The City enforces the regulations known as the International Property Maintenance Code adopted by and through the City of Franklin’s Code of Ordinances.  This code was adopted by the City to improve and protect the overall health, safety, welfare and quality of life for all residents of Franklin by establishing minimum requirements and standards for the upkeep and maintenance of properties in the city.
The International Property Maintenance Code states, in general, that:

  1. All vacant structures and premises thereof or vacant land shall be maintained in a clean, safe, secure and sanitary condition so as not to cause a blighting problem or adversely affect the public health or safety.
  2. With regard to high grass and weeds, all premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 10 inches (254 mm). All noxious weeds shall be prohibited. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs provided; however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.
  3. Except for a few exceptions as provided for in the ordinances, no inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Painting of vehicles is prohibited unless conducted inside an approved spray booth.

    Exception: A vehicle of any type is permitted to undergo major overhaul, including body work, provided that such work is performed inside a structure or similarly enclosed area designed and approved for such purposes.

    All exterior property and premises, and the interior of every structure, shall be free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage.

    Once the city code enforcement officer receives a complaint or observes a violation, the property is inspected. If an alleged violation is found, the code enforcement officer will send a notice of violation to the property owner. In general, the property owner has 7-10 days to correct the violation. If the violation is not corrected, a citation, which includes a fine, is sent to the property owner. The property owner has 5 -7 days after the citation is sent to appeal to the code enforcement board. If the property owner does not appeal within 7 days the city will consider it as a guilty plea by the property owner, who will not be eligible to appeal the board’s decision. However, the procedure with regard to high grass and weeds is different. Because of the rate of growth of weeds, a notice is sent to the property owner concerning the violation of weeds and 10 days are given to correct the violation before a citation is issued. If the violation is not corrected, the city will have the weeds mowed or removed. All costs incurred with the removal of the weeds will due from the property owner. At present, the minimum charge is $100.00. If the city is not reimbursed for expenses, a lien will be placed against the property.

There are at least two private firms located in Franklin that will not charge to remove “junk” cars. They are Baucom's Automotive, located at 520 North Court Street, phone 270-586-7111, and Jimmy’s Auto Salvage located at 2170 Nashville Road, phone 270-586-8272.

Debris and rubbish should be properly contained and many items can be picked up by the city garbage collection. For information concerning items that will be picked up, please contact Scott Waste Services at 270-783-4016.

Large items can be disposed of at the convenience center located on Ditmore Ford Road. For more information please call 586-7788.

Common Violations

Yard Sales

All yard sales are required to have a free permit. No property is permitted to have more than three sales per year.


This includes auto parts, unlicensed or inoperable vehicles, old appliances, food waste, recyclable materials, and other trash. 

Overgrown Grass

Property owners are responsible for ensuring grass and weeds are no more than 10 inches high.

Rodent Harborage

Structures and property must be kept free of rodent infestation. Infestations must be abated in a safe manner.


Temporary signs are NOT allowed in right of ways. Sign permits may be applied for at Planning and Zoning.


No tires should be stored outdoors unless at permitted businesses. Scott Waste will not pick up tires.

Parking in Yards

All motorized vehicles must be parked on an approved parking surface. No vehicles may be parked on grass.

Trash Containers

Trash containers must have a tight-fitting lid and must be stored beside the home until the day before pickup.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find ordinances?

Ordinances may be found at City Hall, or through our Online Portal.

What happens after I make a Code Enforcement Complaint?

The Code Officer will contact the complaintant to fully understand the issue or let them know the status. An inspection will be make to determine if a violation requires a Notice of Violation to be sent to the property owner.
How much time is given to correct violations?

Different violations may have different time frames for compliance. Nonstructural violations are typically given 10 days from the Notice of Violation. Structural violations are typically given 30 days from the Notice of Violation.
What if a violation is not corrected in time?

The Code Officer may make allowance for extra time if the property owner is actively working towards compliance. Citations may be issued up to three times before daily fines accrue. Unpaid fines and remediation costs will be liened against the property.
I received a Notice of Violation, but I see other people with the same of worse violations?

Code Enforcement is an ongoing effort. Once a complaint is filed with Code Enforcement, the process of remediation begins. Violations that have not been reported to Code Enforcement may not have begun this process.

How do I file a complaint or contact the Code Officer?

During normal business hours, the Code Officer can be reached at 270-772-0127 or via email at at any time.